1.jpg

History of Khersonskiy Combinat Khleboproductov

The Kherson port elevator

Khersonskiy port elevator is the first such enterprise of the first Soviet five-year plan. It is a symbol of Dneproges, Magnitka, Turksib in the south of Ukraine.

Elevator is located on the site of the staples where the first ships of the Black Sea Fleet were built. The flour mill stands on the site of an old sawmill, where the products for shipbuilding were made. Since that time more than 200 years have passed, but even now, during the earthworks remains of the initial production of the national fleet are found here. There were involved about 2,000 people in the construction of the elevator who were living in the six bunk houses for 300 people or more.
Original record was made: all 66 storage tanks were concreted during 28 days. No one construction project had such rate of progress.  Elevator was commissioned on May 1, 1932.

The grain-storage section includes 66 round storage tanks arranged in six rows, each has 11 storage tanks. Storage tank’s diameter is 5.34 m, capacity is 500 tons. There are 50 "small silos" with a capacity of 125 tons each between the round silos. Grain receiving from railway transport is carried out simultaneously from two railway tracks. Each of them has six receiving tanks for grain unloading with a capacity of 300 tons.

For grain receiving from road transport on the elevator a special device for six passages was built. Each of them has 20-tn. bucket scales under which there are storage tanks with capacity of 150 tons located. In those early years vehicles were also unloaded manually. Paired shovels were used in 1950th., Four stationary bucket lifts were installed instead of paired shovels in 1955th.

Grain receiving from water transport was performed in no less interesting way. First, its unloading from barges to the elevator facility was carried out with the help of two floating pneumatic reloader with a capacity of 100 tons per hour. But in 1941, when the war began, one reloader was towed to the Georgian city of Poti, and the other was blown up and sunk in Kherson so that the fascists could not take out our bread.

 After the war we had to build additional capacity for grain receiving and storing, because grain production in the region has increased significantly. It was a reinforced elevator body for ten thousand tons.

And the most important object, which was built in the postwar years, has become a mill factory. In 1949 it produces the first flour. Then daily mill produces 70 tons of full-straight flour and 30 tons of whole-wheat flour. Later, due to reconstruction, the mill was had started to produce graded flour and in 1953 its daily capacity was already 160 tons per day.. Performed in 1958 reconstruction , provided an opportunity to increase the performance of the mill up to 220 tons per day. Then three grade milling was implemented  and milling section converted to pneumatic transport. In 1970, by means of reconstruction of another reconstruction the mill capacity was increased up to 375 tons of milled grain per day.

The structure of our production has been continuously improved and intensified. For 60 years port elevator was a part of the Ministry of Procurement, and our mill number 7 was a member of business organizations of flour mills. One company which was called KHERSONSKIY KOMBINAT KHLEBOPRODUCTOV was organized by the Order of the Minister of Ukraine No. 715 as of 30.12.1961.

In 1988 there was another company enlargement. Kopanskoy elevator and the realbase of bread products with the Nikolskiy grain reception center became company’s part. .
Due to the latest reconstruction of the millin 1988, outdated equipment was completely replaced to modern and productive produced under license from world-famous firm "Buhler". Daily capacity of the flour mill is 405 tons with the production of high-grade flour up to 75%.

In 1996 for grain receiving from water transport grain reloader «Portalino» manufactured by world-famous company «Buhler» (Switzerland) was installed,  with a capacity of 300 t/h; portal’s size is 6.4 m.

Due to putting into service in 2001 a new steel grain-storage section produced by the company «BROCK» (USA) with a capacity of 46.600 tons, elevator and grain storage capacity was 96.600tons.

For grain conditioning to the standard conditions modern technological equipment for cleaning TAS-204A4 of  the company «Schmidt Seeger» with a capacity of 160 tons/hour was installed in 2004.

There was installed in 2006 grain drying equipment STX6-14/2 of the company «Schmidt Seeger» with a capacity for wheat of 45.0 t/h. A loading and unloading complex was commissioned in 2010, which includes galleries with transport equipment for grain shipping to water transport, grain unloading from water transport, a grain loading machine PMZ-1000, and electronic bunker scales VBE-500.  Peak performance of the grain shipping line to water transport is 1000 t/h for grain crops (two belt conveyors of 500 t/h each), 420 t/h - for oilseeds. PMZ-1000 machine performance is 1000 t/h.

An automatic line of the firm «Paglierani» (Italy) for packing flour in polypropylene bags of 25 kg and 50 kg was installed in sack filling plant in 1999. The capacity of the automatic line is 600 bags per hour; the weight accuracy is ± 0.03%. Equipment for transporting bags to railway cars and finished products warehouse also was installed.

An automatic line of the firm «Paglierani» (Italy) for packing flour in paper bags of 1 kg and 3 kg was installed in sack filling plant in 2002. The capacity of the automatic line for packing flour in 1 kg bag is 2.22 t/h and in 3 kg bag is 3.24 t/h.

Bags of flour are packed in polyethylene by special equipment that ensures their safety and transportability.  

Section of crumbled bran pelleting with four lines of pelleting equipment of the firm AS TMS (Czech Republic) was commissioned in 2005. It is technologically integrated with the mill. Pellets production provides quality bran preservation, increases capacity in railcars, ships, motor vehicles, which reduces transportation costs.

Passport capacity of one line pelleting equipment is 4 tons/hour. Staff of KHERSONSKIY KOMBINAT KHLEBOPRODUCTOV repeatedly emerged victorious in socialist competition among the enterprises of Kherson and the Ministry of procurements of SSR and the USSR. Kombinat was handed over the flag of the CPSU Central Committee, the Presidium of the Verkhovna Rada of the USSR, the Council of Ministers of the USSR, All-Union Central Trade Union Council and the Central Committee of the All-Union Leninist Young Communist League in perpetuity on the basis of performance in 1973.